Sometimes what we need is a bit of a fun challenge – so here is yours for today…
Try and answer these questions – answers tomorrow!
1. Which type of pain process occurs when the nociceptive impulse reaches the cerebral cortex?
2. Chronic pain may result when the nervous system is unable to return to a state of:
3. Which type of pain arises from injury to the peripheral or central nervous systems?
4. Which of the following statements is true?
|Chronic malignant pain continues after a pathological process has resolved.|
|Chronic nonmalignant pain is typically associated with hyperactivity of the autonomic nervous system.|
|A patient with multiple sources of pain can sense only two types of pain at a time.|
|Acute pain is associated with chronic diseases that are not life-threatening.|
5. Pain assessment for osteoarthritis focuses primarily on:
|Curing the disease.|
|Neurologic test results.|
|Degree of restriction on normal activity.|
6. Prostaglandins are substances generated by:
7. For patients with chronic disease, what is the preferred route of administration for opioid agents?
8. Which of the following are useful in counteracting the sedation that accompanies opioid analgesia?
9. Which type of nerve block is most commonly used for somatic pain occurring in the chest?
10. Cognitive-behavioral interventions include all of the following except:
11. What is the psychiatrist’s role as a member of a pain management team?
|Helping patients optimize their physical functioning.|
|Administration of analgesia directly into the central nervous system.|
|Use of behavior modification.|
|Conducting a comprehensive psychosocial history.|
12. Which of the following members of the pain management team evaluates patients’ home and work sites and recommends adaptations?
|Home health assistants.|
13. Which form of care refers to active total care of patients whose disease is not responsive to curative treatment?
14. Which of the following statements is true?
|Biofeedback and acupuncture clinics are examples of a multidisciplinary approach.|
|A modality-oriented clinic typically offers multiple modes of therapy.|
|Treatment goals at multidisciplinary pain centers are primarily directed toward vocational counseling.|
|Interdisciplinary implies multidisciplinary care that is integrated and coordinated.|
15. Managed care organization officials may be reluctant to adopt integrated pain management
programs because they believe:
|The programs are too simplistic.|
|The nature of the pain experience is objective.|
|There is clear physical evidence for the causes of chronic pain.|
|The programs are thought to be too expensive.|
Now for something sillier – take this test and see how you go!!